Saturday, September 15, 2012

Blogging the Resolutions - Introduction

Resolutions for the 175th Convention of the Diocese of Indianapolis were published yesterday. Taking a page from The Rev. Scott Gunn at Seven Whole Days, who wrote about every single resolution to the General Convention, I thought I'd do a series saying something about each of them. Gunn had to read 241 resolutions. The Diocese of Indianapolis has 11. This'll be like reading Philemon, y'all.

I'll be using the framework I proposed in my proposed Rules for Resolutions at Diocesan Convention, evaluating them on these criteria:
  1. Is the resolution likely to pass unanimously? (+1 if no, -1 if yes)
  2. Does the resolution call for someone in the church to do something concrete? (+1 if yes, -3 if no)
  3. Might the resolution call for the person who proposed it to do something concrete? (+1 if yes, -1 if no)
  4. Does the resolution contain an escape hatch? (+1 if no, -1 if yes)
  5. If the resolution calls for an allocation from the diocesan budget, is it clear how the funding would happen? (+1 if yes, -1 if no, +2 if the resolution scores on #2, 3, and 4 AND requires no budget allocation).
In this system, I think a delegate can vote for any resolution with a score above 0 with a clear conscience. Of course, the higher the score, the better. I reserve the right to unilaterally reduce scores for resolutions that do not reflect the love of God or are otherwise patently objectionable, and will be transparent when I'm doing so.

A note: as usual I am speaking only for myself. Comments here may not reflect the opinions of the Episcopal Church of All Saints, its parishioners, clergy, or delegation. I myself am an alternate to Diocesan Convention and probably will not be voting on any of these resolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment