Monday, September 17, 2012

Blogging the Resolutions - HFEC Status

I'm writing about each of the resolutions to the 175th Convention of Diocese of Indianapolis. My scoring criteria are here. Opinions are my own and may not reflect the Episcopal Church of All Saints, its parishioners, clergy, or delegation.

It's late and I just got home from the first vestry meeting with our new rector (which was awesome, by the way). But I'm just going to bite off an easy resolution here.

Today's resolution: the admission of Holy Family Episcopal Church in Fishers as a parish. Let's see how it scores.

  1. Is the resolution likely to pass unanimously? Of course. -1
  2. Does the resolution call for someone in the church to do something concrete? No. -3
  3. Might the resolution call for the person who proposed it to do something concrete? No. -1
  4. Does the resolution contain an escape hatch? No. +1
  5. If the resolution calls for an allocation from the diocesan budget, is it clear how the funding would happen? No budget requirements, we're ok here. +1
This resolution, of course, reveals how flawed my scoring system is. Because the change in status of a church from mission to parish manages to score a -3, which is obviously ridiculous.

The admission of any planted church as a parish is a clear cause for celebration. For Holy Family, this has been a long time coming. So I'm overriding my silly system and giving it the maximum score, a well-deserved 6.

1 comment: