Saturday, July 7, 2012

Uh oh. Acts 8 isn't perfect.

Elizabeth Kaeton posts a critique of Acts 8 worth reading (read the whole thing here):

I'm not sure I understand it all, but that's the nature of other people's dreams. It doesn't always make sense to other people. What's important is that it makes sense to the dreamer.

What was interesting - and, admittedly very distressing - to me was that, while the age and gender demographic varied, the race, class and educational status didn't. Indeed, everyone - except for one person - was Caucasian, well educated, and middle class.

That one young woman said, "I dream of a church where I’m not one of two (African Americans) in a room.” Amen. And, include Hispanics, First People, Aboriginals, Pacific Islanders, etc., etc., etc.

It's important to dream dreams. Dreams are one of the favorite haunts of the Holy Spirit. Indeed, that's what an Acts 8 movement is all about. To allow the work of the Holy Spirit to be done and not playing into the negative, destructive bickering over structure and money which seems to have been the set up of the conversation initiated by the institutional church.

Again, I have to ask: Where's the content? What do these dreams look like in reality? The promise is that the organizers of Acts 8 are going to initiate another gathering to talk about how to transform the church and make our dreams become a reality. Probably two days before General Convention ends.


Then she backs up her challenge with action:

And thus it came to pass that, at 10 AM this very morning, my friend was baptized as the newest member in the Household of God in the Fountain between the Hyatt and the Westin in Indianapolis, IN.


So was I a fool for being there? Was it just, as one blog comment suggested, just "an AA meeting that could break into kumbaya next"? (I would remind the commenter to take care, because AA and related ministries are among the few ways our buildings contribute to external mission).

Kaeton's critique is correct insofar as Acts 8 is dissatisfying as a source for a legislative agenda. And in a single meeting, it's not even fully satisfying as something I can take back to my parish. But that's why we committed to getting together again on July 11. Who cares if it's 2 days before the end of convention? As a General Convention participant with neither vote nor voice (beyond what little I can manage out here in the blogosphere or on twitter), I can't get too worked up about its legislative meaning. I'm much more interested in parish renewal.

But Elizabeth Kaeton, I need something from you. You have an amazing excused absence from the community Eucharist this morning. I'm ready to move on to a less self-involved Christianity. I dream of a church where experienced hands can show young lay leaders the way.

2 comments:

  1. Brendan, I haven't thought of any intelligent comments to make on your blog but I want you to know that I am reading it, appreciating it, and sharing it with others.

    Pamela Grenfell Smith
    Bloomington, Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela - thanks so much for the note. I'm glad to be read at all, and eager to engage with any takers!

    ReplyDelete