Saturday, August 3, 2013

I Like Bar Charts and I Cannot Lie

I have been a long-time admirer from afar of St. Paul's Seattle, who I think has a marvelous online presence. I'm going to be in Seattle for the first time since I was a teenager, so I'm super-excited that I finally get to visit this Sunday.

But one thing I asked myself was whether this church could possibly be as good as its website. I'm a data-driven kind of guy, so I scurried right over to the Episcopal Church Office of Research's website, and boy howdy, was I impressed.

See that red bar? That's average Sunday attendance more than doubling since 2004. This in a denomination whose prevailing narrative is that we've been in decades of decline.

Now, St. Paul's is a progressive Anglo-Catholic parish, the kind of place Ross Douthat argues is ideologically unsavable, and liturgically is relentlessly uncool. I can't say for sure what's going on at St. Paul's but it got me thinking about another progressive Anglo-Catholic parish I've been hearing some buzz about, Atonement Chicago.


Ok, not as dramatic as St. Paul's, but numbers are moving the right direction.

And then I thought about the parish where my church's rector did her fieldwork in seminary, St. Paul's Norwalk, another progressive Anglo-Catholic place, and...wait, is that right? Average Sunday attendance up 300% over the last 10 years?

What about other progressive Episcopal churches without the high church accoutrements? One of my favorite places to visit is Grace Chicago. It's located in the rapidly changing South Loop neighborhood, and its congregation reflects the neighborhood, with young professionals and the urban poor sitting side by side.

I can't tell you for sure what's going on at all these places - Grace is the only one I've attended, but at my peril I'm going to hazard a quick guess. In a recent article for Religion Dispatches, Meghan Florian wades into the debate sparked by Rachel Held Evans' article for CNN, "Why Millennials are Leaving the Church." Florian notes, "The thing that I miss most in this flurry of articles? Mention of the holy spirit moving in people’s lives. Encounters with the living God." This insight hits the mark for me.

The Anglo-Catholic style of worship attempts, and occasionally succeeds, at mediating an experience between the human and the divine. I make no claim that Anglo-Catholicism is the only way to do this, nor even the best way - just that its deliberateness, drama, and occasional obscurity may confer some advantages in communicating the mystery of God. But Grace Church, which isn't high church in the slightest, manages to communicate this too, through extensive use of silence and through the moving practice of allowing the congregation to declare their intentions for the Eucharist while standing around the altar at the 8am Sunday service.

Whatever the style, these practices in worship - in progressive churches, no less - define a space and time set aside for the holy, offering the potential for an encounter with the undefinable divine. Couple that with a sincere welcome for visitors coming in the door (I'm looking to experience this St. Paul's Seattle - don't disappoint me), and you may have something very powerful indeed.

3 comments:

  1. St. Paul's is one of the most exciting parishes in the Episcopal Church right now (if you ask me--and full disclosure, I was a priest associate there a couple of years ago).

    I think you're onto something important. In some ways, our progressive Anglo-Catholic parishes are at the leading edge: they're practicing all of what makes the Episcopal Church distinctive among Christian communities in North America today ... but even more so.

    Hope your visit tomorrow lives up to your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen - thanks for the comment. St. Paul's lived up to my expectations and then some. I was actually pretty floored by the liturgy. I think my parish does a decent job of making sure the congregation is a participant, not just a witness, but St. Paul's takes it to another level. Hoping to make it back for Transfiguration on Tuesday, and then maybe I'll have more to say.

      Delete
  2. I'm a member of St. Paul's who just moved to another diocese where things are quite different liturgically- it's much lower church. There are also places where the liturgy is clearly just not the parish's center. I credit my time at St. Paul's with giving me the energy to imagine how a place with less focus on its liturgy might transform into a place where the people do feel they are full participants in the liturgy. And I don't just mean in a high church, Anglo-Catholic way. It can be done in just as reverent a way without all the incense and the bowing and chanting. Though I do miss all of that ...

    ReplyDelete